Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Chicken Tortilla Soup


Lately my cooking has gotten a bit boring so I decided to start checking out some cookbooks from the library. Problem is who has time to sit down and find some decent recipes to try! 

Thankfully, I forced myself to make a little bit of time to go through the cookbook Dinner Solved and I found a few recipes I wanted to try out. This chicken tortilla soup really stuck out to me so last night I gave it a try and it's a definite keeper. Actually this is why I'm blogging it so I can pin it on my Pinterest soup album and make it again.

I did change the recipe around a little bit and it turned out quite delicious and my husband and my boys loved it which is a win win!
 


So here's the recipe adapted from Dinner Solved by Katie Workman:

FOR THE SOUP:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
2 tablespoons chicken flavor bouillon
6 cups water
salt
black pepper
3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
juice of 1 lime

TO SERVE:
avocados
cheddar cheese
fresh cilantro
lime
tortilla strips

Directions:
1. Mix water and chicken bouillon. Cook chicken in a large pot in the water and chicken bouillon(SAVE THE CHICKEN BROTH). Take chicken out and let cool down for a little bit and then shred. (The Kitchen Aid does a wonderful shredding the chicken!)
2. Heat olive oil in the large pot and saute onions and garlic until tender and golden. Stir in seasonings and cook until fragrant. Add tomatoes and 6 cups of chicken broth, season with salt and pepper, and bring to a simmer over high heat. Add the shredded chicken. Keep soup over medium low heat and let it gently simmer.
3. Ladle soup into bowls and top with your favorite toppings!

My modifications were mainly a little more crushed tomatoes...I didn't use all 28 oz maybe more like 20 oz...the original recipe called for 14 oz. The original recipe also called for 2 onions but we're not huge onion fans.

No comments: