Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Protest Planned Parenthood

 




 


I did something a little bit out of the ordinary on Saturday. I joined the Protest Planned Parenthood movement! I am still processing why I did it since I've never been overly vocal about being pro-life before.........

All my life I've been pro-life. I believe that God's Word is clear regarding the issue of abortion. Life begins at conception and God has knitted and formed that baby from the very beginning. Abortion is not an option under any circumstance. I've just never really done anything extraordinary about it. 

Have you seen the videos? I've only seen 3. The last video literally made me sick. Seeing the little babies being dissected was repulsive. I started sharing all the videos and different links to conservative bloggers on the issue on social media and using the hashtag defund planned parenthood. I don't really know what good that did, aside from the fact of probably annoying all my unbelieving friends who are more concerned with the rain forest and Cecil the lion.

So when I heard there was going to be a protest and that there's a Planned Parenthood clinic only 15 miles from where we now live, I thought I could at least check it out. I went Saturday morning with my sign that I did not put much thought into. I stood side by side other professing Christians, many who attend conservative churches in the surrounding area, and held my sign. The majority of people driving by didn't react, many honked and cheered us on, and we only got a handful of middle fingers in the air. That day, the clinic cancelled all their appointments. 

I asked some of the protesters why they were there. Many said to bring awareness to this issue, others said maybe by standing here we can change the mind of one woman, and others said it's the right thing to do. 

Will I do it again? I don't know. I read John Piper's post below on Saturday's protest and he had some great thoughts. I don't know that I can totally agree with his first point but I can definitely relate to the rest of his points, particularly the one on Freedom on Public Property. No chance in Russia this could ever happen.......you'd need a permit from the government and I doubt it would ever be given.


 I don't know how much will change regarding the abortion issue in this country. Our leaders are immoral and have no regard for God or life. The United States is not the promised land and there are no promises in scripture held for America. I know that as a Christian I have a responsibility to vote, and most of all the biggest responsibility to pray for our leaders that God has put over us!

Psalm 139:14a For I am fearfully and wonderfully made.....
 
 



2 comments:

Susan said...

I don't think we are to stand for truth in order to change anyone's mind...more often than not they won't change, however we are still to stand for the truth regardless of whether anyone changes over it or not. Hard to do because we have been conditioned to get results, see changes through our "making a difference" etc, but when I look at Lot and his family, or Noah, they stood for truth and honor, and we're prepared to go when the Lord came for them...but how many joined them by the difference they made with their honorable lives? Don't get me wrong, I think it's great if someone really does come to the truth through our efforts, but I don't think positive results should be our motivation, I think just standing for truth is its own reward. :)

Susan said...

Were not we're (spellchecker loves changing my words)