Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Top Book Picks For Valentine's Day


Pin It
I was never a big Valentine's Day fan but once we had kids......that all changed. It's fun passing out Valentine cards, eating heart shaped candies, and reading fun books. Once mid-January rolled around I went to the library and checked out all the Valentine books they had. We've read a lot of them. Actually, my husband has read a lot of them to the boys. So, here are a few of our very favorites in no particular order.

5. Nate the Great and the Mushy Valentine by Marjorie Sharmat
Who doesn't love Nate the Great? Nate the Great hates mushy stuff but one day he "spies" a big red paper heart taped to the outside of his dog's doghouse. Nate is on the case solving the mystery of who left the mush Valentine for his dog, Sludge. There's a surprise ending to the story! The boys loved this book and giggled a ton.
4. Olive My Olive by Vivian Walsh
It's a cute little love story about two cute little dogs. Our youngest is really into dogs right now so any story about a dog makes him happy. This story is actually really sweet.
3. Valentines's Day by Gail Gibbons
There are a ton of books in the library about the history of Valentine's Day and how to celebrate. This book in particular is just really concise and an easy read. My 10 year old likes these factual type of books more than my 6 year old.
2. Winnie the Pooh's Valentine by Bruce Talkington
I will always be a Pooh fan and this book didn't disappoint. Both boys have definitely outgrown Pooh Bear but they still enjoyed the story. Plus the illustrations as always are magical!!!
1. Somebody Loves You, Mr. Hatch by Eileen Spinelli
This was my favorite book. Even my husband said it was probably the best book he's read to the boys in a while. Mr. Hatch is a very lonely man but one day he receives a mysterious package with a pink bow. "Somebody loves you," the notes says! Mr. Hatch is floored and the package literally changes his life. I could tell you more but I don't want to ruin the story! I plan on buying this book because we all liked it so much!!!

1 comment:

Lisa @ Our Country Road said...

Great list! I've not read Nate the Great's Valentines book. We will have to check it out!